Thursday, August 18, 2016

ONE NIGHT AT THE LAUNDROMAT


My body is just worn out. now.
No problem though. Now I can legitimately just chant and hear all day
because that is all I am able to do.
Hopefully I will be to do like that for some time.
I think I can make some more progress in Krishna consciousness if I am allowed to practice like this for a little while longer.

But I just wore the thing out. Burned the candle at both ends for years. My mantra. "I'm not this body."

Like one night at the laundromat in Boston in 1971. It was my service to do the brahamacarini laundry. All the clothing and towels, etc. were put into a big rubber trash barrel and I would wheel it over to the laundry a few blocks away in a stolen shopping cart.

My right ankle had been painful and swollen for a few days but I paid no attention to it. "I'm not this body."

I passed out at the laundry and went into a coma and woke up three days later in Massachusetts General Hospital hooked up to an IV with a young intern by the bedside. Evidently it was a staff infection in the ankle from sitting cross-legged on the floor it had turned to gangrene. He told me they thought they were going to have to amputate the foot.

I looked quickly at the foot of the bed. Did I still have a foot? Yes it was still there. He exclaimed how lucky I was. The gangrene reversed itself and disappeared. The doctors had never seen anything like that or even heard of it happening before.

Oh, I have lots of stories. "I'm not this body."
Miraculously escaping severe injury or death. Lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment