Tuesday, August 23, 2016

JUST SOME THOUGHTS LATE AT NIGHT

Just some thoughts late at night:
As a conditioned soul I find myself in an awkward position. Due to eons of the cycle of repeated births and deaths I can no longer distinguish spirit from matter. Like a mixture of oil and water that has been shaken up so vigorously it appears the oil has dissolved in the water... but it has not.

My prime necessity is to be able to understand the difference between spirit and matter. That is real knowledge. What keeps me in ignorance is my attachment to material sense gratification which means identifying the material body and mind as myself.

I need a system of purification of my mind and senses. To simply abstain from sense gratification will not work. My senses are there and neither my senses nor my mind can ever be ignored.
By the mercy of the Pure Devotee Spiritual master the system of purification is given. Like a doctor prescribing the appropriate medicine to cure the disease. Engage the mind and the senses in devotional service under the direction of a pure devotee of Lord Krishna.

The very first step in becoming Krishna conscious is to be able to recognize spirit from matter no matter how emulsified. Without reaching that realization I will be stuck on the material plane no matter how accommodating or pleasant my material arrangements may be. "Attentively" hearing and chanting the Hare Krishna Mahamantra as prescribed by the spiritual master is the medicine.

The 10th offense to be avoided in the chanting of the Hare Krishna Mahamantra:
"10) To not have complete faith in the chanting of the holy names and to maintain material attachments, even after understanding so many instructions on this matter."


Ten offenses to be avoided in chanting the Holy Names of the Lord:
Ten Offenses

No comments:

Post a Comment