Friday, December 23, 2016

TWO SIDES TO EVERYTHING


It is painful to see how my father tries to get out of his suffering without taking shelter of God. I am there and do what I can but he has a lifetime of, "I am strong. I can do anything I put my mind to." But he is nearing everyday to that situation he will not be able to control. Not with his will, nor mind nor physical strength. And he is suffering so much with infections. Like leprosy.

Yesterday was especially difficult. He was wild with wanting relief. Like a trapped animal. All he could think about was going somewhere. Anywhere. But he can't go anywhere.

I had to find some strength. He was dragging me into his fear and pain and helplessness.

I began chanting with desperation for him and for myself. Lord Krishna is there in His Holy Name. My father started to calm down and fell asleep. I continued Hare Krishna japa loudly for several rounds and then sang Krishna kirtan. He slept.

Two sides to everything.
The duplicity of the material world.
The material world itself is another side of everything.
A perverted reflection. Which means everything in the reflection is backwards or upside down.

For instance... strength. In the material world defiance is considered strength. In sports defying the material energy by performing extraordinary acts. Jumping higher than anyone ever jumped, or fighting and defeating all opponents. Defying the limitations of the material body. Overcoming disease. Ah, yes that is physical strength. That person is defiant. Strong.

But in the God consciousness compliance is strength. Not defiance. Compliance with the will of the Lord. The material energy is not an obstacle to be defeated. The material energy assists a person who is compliant with the Master of the Material Energy. The material energy become the servant of the servant.

Or renunciation... In the material world living with nothing as much as possible is considered renounced. But what can anyone renounce? Does anything belong to anyone? If nothing actually belongs to anyone how can anyone renounce anything?

Everyone in the material world is a thief. This is mine. That is mine. This other thing is also mine. And I want more and more. But nothing belongs to anyone. Everything belongs to the Lord. So the thief is renouncing his stolen goods? Go into a store and walk out with a TV. The guard will stop you. What will you say? "I renounce this TV?"
But in God consciousness renunciation means to use everything for the owner of everything, the Lord. Talents, abilities, resources, whatever someone has access to.

No comments:

Post a Comment