Monday, December 26, 2016

LOTUS THIS... LOTUS THAT... WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

I have to admit I was getting a little irritated every time I heard Lotus Feet, Lotus Face, Lotus Hands, lotus this and that referring to Lord Krishna's body. I began asking for some clarity so that I can appreciate the lotus references.

I know lotus is famous for being on top of the water and not affected by the water like a transcendentalist who may be in the material world but not affected by it. But why always referring to the parts of the Lord's body with lotus?

Yesterday my desire for insight on this was really getting to a fever pitch so much so that every time I read or heard lotus I was becoming irate. Irate at my own ignorance.

Well, as "always" happens the answer came by reading Srila Prabhupada's books. If it isn't discussed in Srila Prabhupada's books it doesn't exist. The hair-raising part is the timing. Ask a very specific question and the answer is there. Pretty much right away if not sooner. 

"The paramahaᚁsas are compared to royal swans who make their nests on the petals of the lotus flower. The Lord’s transcendental bodily parts are always compared to the lotus flower because in the material world the lotus flower is the last word in beauty." SB 3.5.41 purport
Image may contain: bird, outdoor and water

No comments:

Post a Comment