Saturday, May 21, 2016

I DID NOT SIGN THE PETITION

There is a constant roar and rumble of dissatisfaction with ISKCON. Not the least of which is the child abuse issue. There are other issues.
Recently I was asked to sign a petition that demanded ISKCON be boycotted until child abusers were brought to justice.
I refused to sign the petition and was immediately labeled as not a sincere follower of Srila Prabhupada. And admonished with... ISKCON is Srila Prabhupada's institution and sincere followers of Srila Prabhupada will not tolerate child abuse.... which the petitioners claim is still going on.
First of all I have no voice in ISKCON. I never had a voice and I don't expect to ever have a voice in ISKCON policies, programs or management. I wish the devotees who are dedicating their lives to service within ISKCON all success and good fortune. They are making a huge sacrifice of their life energy, resources, time and talents.
I gave what I had.. All that I ever really had was some youthful energy. I gladly gave that. But I really didn't have anything else to give.
ISKCON is an institution. An institution is a vehicle. Much like a car is a vehicle. It can be engaged in the service of the Lord and it becomes spiritualized. If the institution serves other purposes it is materially contaminated. A car is not a person, an institution is not a person.
Just like Srila Prabhupada's car, there is Srila Prabhupada's institution. If the car is used to serve Srila Prabhupada it is spiritualized, if it is used for something else it not spiritualized.
But Srila Prabhupada is not the car and Srila Prabhupada is also not the institution.
If I do not serve Srila Prabhupada's car does that mean I have no service to Srila Prabhupada? No.
If I have no service within the institution does that mean I have no service to Srila Prabhupada? No.
An institution can never take the place of person.
This is why Srila Prabhupada separated out the institution from the Book Trust. The institution may fail but Srila Prabhupada lives in His books. The books are the Person. The institution is not. The institution is in a relationship of service to the books.
The books are not a vehicle that becomes spiritualized... the books are completely spiritual already. The books are not a means to an end, a way to make money, a way to attract people to the institution... No. The institution is there to attract people to the books.
If there are problem of impurities within the institution... those devotees who see that as an opportunity to serve the institution may become enlivened to clean things up. The car needs a good washing.
But I have no service within the institution any longer. I did not sign the petition.

Meena Devi Dasi's photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment