Wednesday, June 8, 2016

NEVER DIVERT FROM THE TRUTH

Never divert from the truth.....
Once Satyakama, the son of Jabala, asked his mother, I want to live as a brahmacari. Which dynasty do I belong to. In answer, Jabala told Satyakama, "My son, I do not know which dynasty you belong to; in my youth I served as a maidservant in various places and at that time begot you as my son. Therefore I don't know which gotra you belong to. My name is Jabala and your name is Satyakama. Therefore you should say that you are Satyakama Jabala."
Thereafter Satyakama Jabala approached Haridrumata Gautama and said, "I wish to live with you as a brahmacari."
Gautama inquired, "O gentle one, which dynasty do you belong to?"
Satyakama replied, "I do not know which dynasty I belong to. I asked my mother and she said, 'I begot you as my son when I was wandering in my youth as a maidservant. Therefore I do not know which dynasty you belong to. My name is Jabala, and your name is Satyakama.' So I am Satyakama Jabala."
Gautama then said to him, "My dear son, no one other than a brahmana can speak such truth that you have spoken. Therefore you are brahmana, and I accept you. O gentle one, go bring wood for sacrifice."
Jabala replied, "I am going right now to bring wood."
Gautama said, "Never divert from the truth." Chandogya Upanisad, retold in "Brahmana and Vaishnava" Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Prabhupada
Show more reactions

No comments:

Post a Comment