Saturday, June 25, 2016

DIVE-BOMBED

What a thrill. I was the enemy today.
Two mockingbirds (actually I think they are catbirds, same family) are always together...dancing on the fence, hopping around in the birthbath, pecking for food on the ground. They are never very far away from each other. They have made a nest in the bougainvillea. Good choice. Bougainvillea has thorns so intruders will reconsider before barging in. They built the nest a month ago and everything has been peaceful and quiet.
Until now. There must either be eggs in the nest or baby birds, although I don't hear the usual peep peep. I can't even go out of the house at all. They are perched on the roof and even of I go out on the other side or the back of the house they have a panic attack. Screaming at me from tree branches, from the mail box on the curb, from the roof. From everywhere. So attached it is wonderful, the attachment. Krishna's illusory energy.
They scream at me and then dive bomb me. I never experienced a bird diving at me a million miles minute, so it seems, and screaming. It's quite a thrill. They dive and then pull up just before crashing into me. The natural reflex is to duck. Of course I am not the enemy. I put the birdbath there for them to enjoy. But they are blinded by their attachment. And it is good not to give up the fear of humans. Not everyone is trying to be a devotee of Krishna.
I managed to capture one of the dive bomb attacks on video on my cheapo canon camera. The video of it is way too fast to see anything. Like lighting. So I separated out the few frames that have the action.
Being attacked like that, as if I was an enemy I remembered Grandfather Bhisma. Bhisma attacked Krishna as if He were the enemy. But Bhisma's arrows felt to Krishna like flower offerings. Bhisma was not nonchalant in his attack. He was passionate. He was sworn to protect dharma and allegiance to the throne of Hastinapura. He was passionate about that. But he was a great pure devotee of Krishna. He could not give up his allegiance, his duty to Hastinapura. Helplessly caught between duty and love, he performed both simultaneously. And that passionate offering was accepted by Krishna in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment