Friday, April 8, 2016

THE BIRD BATH

It is a very small back yard space.
But it is grand central station in the afternoons.
The bird bath is very, very popular.
Everyday new birds are finding this treasure.
It is obvious how much they appreciate such a simple thing.
They are even moving into the area just to be near the bath.
I had never seen brown thrashers before.
I had to look them up to find out what they are called.
Brown with brown and white speckles on their bellies.
Now they live here because I see them all the time.
The grackles are coming also the last few days.
Jet black that shimmers in the sunlight
to reveal multi-iridescent highlights.
Their eyes are uncanny a kind of luminescent yellow-green.
Very piercing against their jet black bodies.
The blue jays are still boss
They are larger than everyone else
and when they want the bath everyone else scatters.
The jays come in pairs much of the time.
One of the birds most likely the female
makes all sorts of very sweet chirping sounds.
The male is much larger with a crown.
When he splashes around the water gets splashed out.
I have to refill it.
The gray mockingbirds with white tipped wings.
Even the woodpeckers have been checking it out.
So it is very busy in the afternoon.
Plus the squirrels scampering
along the top of the make shift lattice fence
that separates two yards... like it was a super highway.
The peacocks taking a short cut through the area
getting ready to roost for the night in the trees a few streets away.
It is mating season and they are dancing on every corner.
They are very noisy.
The screeching and screaming goes on constantly.
When one starts they all start.
It sounds like someone is being murdered.
A little unnerving after a while
The neighbor's dog who is very high-strung begins barking.
I am here. I appreciate the nature surrounding me.
I can't get photos of the bird bath antics.
Whenever I try.. they see me aiming the camera and fly away.

No comments:

Post a Comment