Tuesday, November 22, 2016

"HARI' AT THE NURSING HOME

At the nursing home. It's really a great place as far as places like that go. If someone needs 24 hour care this place is the Ritz.

This section is the dementia section. But they are receiving such extraordinary care it's really just like nothing is wrong at all. I mean these people are getting exceptionally loving care. 


People that do this kind of work for their livelihood are very saintly. They have to have some love in their hearts for these poor helpless people or they won;t last at the job for long. They really do need to go to the very extreme of service to others.
I thank Lord Krishna a million, million times for allowing my father to be cared for there. I tried to take care of him in the house... he's 98... but it was way beyond my capabilities. People that old very often need a team of caregivers just to keep them going. Just the hygiene part was most unworkable. I mean he's my father and he's incontinent. I can't help him change his underwear. It's just too out there for him and for me. Also he doesn't listen to me and tries to do dangerous things. So I am ever so grateful to have found this place. I looked at a lot of places. But this was the best. There is something very special going on there. 

Sitting with my father, Joan and her husband who comes to visit everyday, and Angela who does the manicures and massages. Yes! Massages!! They were all coloring in coloring books and I was finishing sewing some curtains I brought with me to do as busy work. 

Joan has Alzheimer and a blank stare most of the time. She is lovely to look at. Very sweet face. Just confused and maybe a little fearful. She was fascinated by my hand sewing. i would look up and smile and exclaim very cheerfully with hands in the air, "Hari!" Her face would light up. She knew what I was saying. She remembered. I could see it on her face. This went on for at least 20 minutes every few minutes, "Hari!" and she would light up with a terrific smile. 

Actually it was like playing with a baby. It was so much fun... "Hari!" Every time it was like the first time I said "Hari," both for her and for me. And for our friends at the table coloring.

No comments:

Post a Comment