Friday, November 20, 2015

REMEMBERING A TRAGEDY

Remembering a tragedy.
In Atlanta in the 80's I was living in a 14' travel trailer in the temple parking lot. I had a small flower business and was supplying stores with incense with 50% to the temple. Periodically I would go for a few days at a time and sell books around the state of Georgia. Sometimes some of the new bhaktins would hop in the van and go with me. Ballabhadra and Gandhari the manager of the temple and his wife were very supportive. It was great fun actually. Chanting in the street in the morning, distributing books in the afternoon and if there were devotee families nearby we'd drop in around dinner time.
There is a large health food store in Atlanta near the temple and they were one of my incense customers. A young black woman was the manager for the incense department. She was very favorable to Krishna consciousness and I would bring her prasadam from the Deities. It was more than just a business decision for her to order every month. She even went out of her way to set up display where people could buy just one stick if they wanted to. She was very very nice like that and happy to engage in service.
I would get a kind of creepy feeling when I would ask for her. Another black woman, very tall and thin would peer at me from around the shelving watching my every move as I talked with the manager. I could feel an icy stare. I thought maybe she just doesn't like Krishna because I would wear devotional clothing.
One day I arrived there to supply the store and was told there was some bad news. The young woman had been murdered. I was in shock. No. How could that be? It was crime of passion. The other woman that I had noticed staring at me had shot and killed this woman and then shot and killed herself. She left a note. "If I can't have you, then no one can have you." The whole store was morose.
I saw two black women today that reminded me. It was like deja vu. One of them had that same icy stare.
How does this relate to Krishna consciousness?
Don't fool around with Maya...

No comments:

Post a Comment