Sunday, November 29, 2015

ABANDONMENT


It is well-known that writing can be a catharsis...
Much of what I share in my blog is a catharsis.
Sometimes I look at something from one angle
then I look at it from another angle. 
Sometimes I see something as good for Krishna consciousness
then later I may see the same thing as not good for Krishna consciousness.
For the last little I have been exploring my "relationship" with ISKCON.
I don't think I am alone in a lot of what I have experienced
and in wanting to get clarity.
So by openly sharing my "soul searching"
someone else may get something of value.
Today I am looking at abandonment..
How to differentiate becoming attached to the spiritual master
who will never abandon the disciple
and becoming attached to an institution run like a business
that may disregard it's members
in favor of the perceived goals of the institution
just like a corporation's main concern is profitability...
Such a corporation will make decisions based on profitability
sometimes with little or no regard for
morality, kindness, personal relationships.
Persons who become attached to an institution
leave themselves vulnerable to abandonment.
Which is what many of Srila Prabhupada's
disciples experienced at His disappearance.
The test now is to become attached
to the spiritual master not simply the institution.
The institution actually has to be conducted like a business.
It was created for that purpose.
A not for profit business.. ISKCON incorporated.
But can anyone ever incorporate a spiritual movement?
No. What is incorporated are the assets.
The land, buildings, temples, bank accounts...
During the Vietnam War the US government
instituted a mandatory draft.
So to protect the young men
who were coming as students of Krishna consciousness
Srila Prabhupada especially incorporated ISKCON.
In that way the movement would be recognized
as a legal entity for religious teachings,
and it's members would be exempt from the draft.
But the person who created the institution
is more than the institution.
For this we have to carefully consider
what the purpose for creating the institution is.
Certainly everything in relationship with Krishna is not material.
The corporation also is certainly not a material entity
although it has legal and political identity.
But the relationship with the corporation
is just like the relationship a person has
with a company.
They can be fired from the company.
They can quit the company.
But the actual loving relationship isn't with a company.
It is with a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment