Friday, March 11, 2016

DON'T START WITH ME

There is a line at the pharmacy.
I join the line at the end and move up one by one
as the people pick up their medicines and leave.
Now I am in the front of the line...next one to be called.
An older man comes up to me, "Is there a line?"
There obviously was... as there were people standing behind me.
I motion, "Yes, we are waiting in line."
He is disapproving. The sign for waiting in line is a little to the right of us.
"Why are you waiting over there?"
I answered, probably should have just ignored the dumb question...
but seeing a chance to engage in conversation
and maybe introduce Krishna somehow,
I answer, "I just got in the back of the line and they were all standing here."
He snaps back, " You must be from Canada. Are you from Canada?"
I answer, "No. Are you from Canada?"
Now he is fuming...with a very thick New York accent.
"No I am not from Canada! Don't start with me!"
Just to push things a little further...
"You must be from New York." Now he is ready to kill me.
"No! I'm not from New York I'm from Florida 55 years.
and you mind your own business and shut the hell up."
This happens with a lot of old people.
They respond in very strange ways.
Who is he talking to? His wife that used to nag him?
A son or a daughter who disagreed with him on things?
It was lot to take the full force of his venom, as if he knew me.
to take the chastisement he meant for someone else.
Perhaps envy has engulfed him so that he lashes out
at anyone and anything for any reason...
like a snake that strikes simply if there is some movement nearby.
At the counter I turned around and held my japa beads high out of the bag and announced very loudly so everyone could hear...
"I will pray for you."
To my surprise his face softened and he replied in a kind of gentle voice, "You need to."
The whole exchange was so intense I had to do something...
I ran up to the very next person I saw...
an employee, middle aged thin black lady with very large glasses
on her thin face probably from Haiti and said
with a lot of enthusiasm, getting her full attention,
"I have to tell you something!!"
Her eyes got wide...
"Hare Krishna!"
She smiled so much. From ear to ear.

1 comment:

  1. Hare Krishna Your Grace...please come back to facebook...you are just so inspirational....you gave me hope & thestrenght to resume KC....please don't leave us!! Ys, Devananda Das...Dean Smith

    ReplyDelete