Monday, February 22, 2016

THE VALLEY OF LOST SOULS

My parents thought I was crazy and I was "missing it."
They called the temple "The Valley of lost souls."
But they were still supportive.
My mother said, "This Prabhupada and Hare Krishna are a miracle.
They have done for you what no one else was able to do. 
Not doctors, not teachers, not even your father and I could help you."
When I think back they did a lot of service.
That is how I will always remember them.
Walking alongside the Harinam party wearing the Deities garlands
on a Friday night in Georgetown Wash, DC.
Serving the devotees lemonade break-fast
just before the Janmastami feast.
Bringing crates of carrots and string beans to the temple kitchen door.
And then helping to clean them up.
Always writing a generous check for the temple whenever they visited... Always being respectful.
But then adding, "We don't believe in this Hare Krishna.
It's not for us. But you do, so we respect that."
Later when my mother developed Alzheimer
and was in the final stages she could not use words.
No sentences. Just sounds.
But when I said Hare Krishna to her
she would break out into the "full Maha mantra"
with very clear pronunciation and a big smile.
It was the only thing my mother could say.
I pray that I may be so fortunate....
I shouldn't be amazed at anything anymore...
but I am ever amazed...

No comments:

Post a Comment