Monday, February 22, 2016

THE FIRST TIME

The first time ever I was instructed
to approach someone "out there" with Krishna conscious literature.
In 1971 the temple life was very simple stream-lined ashram life.
We were all young adults, only one married couple.
The day began with
cold shower 3 am..
mangal arotika,
Tulsi puja,
japa,
guru puja,
bhagavatam
and breakfast.
Maintenance duties. For me it was Tulsi devi
and then cleaning the ashram and the bathroom.
Then the whole temple led by the temple president,
except for the cook and pujari, went on sankirtan.
Chanting all day in the park. Same location everyday downtown.
Noon a devotee would arrive with white buckets
filled with kitchari and corn bread.
What a great day that was. Rain or shine.
It was the days of brahmacharis with socks that didn't match.
Not a care in the world. Krishna would provide for all our needs.
Just chant, chant, chant. Like baby birds in a nest.
There were no books for distribution yet.
Then the "Back To Godhead" magazines arrived in quantity.
The next phase began.
While the main party of devotees were chanting
half the group of about five of us were to circulate
through the nearby onlooking crowd,
still remaining within hearing range of the kirtan
and distribute the magazines.
We were to get at least a quarter for them.
They were beautifully illustrated.
I was the first one in the first group assigned to go out to the people.
We all wore saffron, even the ladies. saffron saris.
My parents were so grateful to Srila Prabhupada
for helping me come out of my confusion in my search for meaning in life, something which they admitted they were not able to do,
that they brought an entire roll of saffron material
for the devotees to make the clothing.
They brought many other things too.
They were the only parents that I can remember who offered anything.
So there I was, saffron sari, tilak, head covered, and BTG's in hand.
What do I say? I didn't have the slightest idea how to approach anyone
from new position of devotee student.
I approached a clean looking young man
probably on his lunch break in the busy park.
There were hundreds of people everywhere....
mothers with baby carriages,
secretaries on park benches eating sandwiches,
businessmen with brief cases scurrying here and there.
Children running and playing.
He was standing under a tree apparently watching the Harinam.
I handed him the magazine.
He took it... looked at it... looked me... looked at it again and then....
in the middle of everything and everyone....
He unzipped his pants and held his male private part in one hand...
in the other hand he held the BTG and said...
"I already have my Godhead."
What to do? I totally did not expect anything like that.
Must be my karma.
I just didn't know what was the Krishna conscious thing to do.
I thought... "He isn't going to give a donation for the BTG
I need to take it back."
And then I thought, "This isn't going to be easy.
These people can't understand anything. They are just like animals."
If we think the residents of the material world are somehow different now
we are mistaken. It is all still there. They are all still just like animals
and they still can't understand anything.
This Krishna consciousness process is perfect and it works.
It is the only hope for us. Let's not be fooled into thinking otherwise.
Even within our own ranks the animal tendencies are still influencing.
It takes time for the process to work. But it works.
All glories to Srila Prabhupada and all the Vaishnava acaryas.

No comments:

Post a Comment