Monday, May 27, 2013

THE BLOCK



THE BLOCK

14. Something that obstructs; an obstacle.
...
16. Medicine Interruption or obstruction of a physiological function: nerve block.
17. Psychology A sudden cessation of speech or a thought process without an immediate observable cause, sometimes considered a consequence of repression. Also calledmental block.


We have blocks, all of us, some to a greater and some to a lesser degree. This is karma, the law of action and reaction. Very intricate. Insurmountable. 

Those situated in Pure Love of God are free. 

Just one instance (and a partial view at that) of how this works. 
From just one drop, the sea can be known.

I always understood what a deep and lasting experience my father had when he was a teenager, because all through his life he would tell the story over and over again. And now at 94 he tells it as often as he can. Repeating it and repeating it. 

THE WICKED STEP MOTHER

The school nurse sent me home from school with chicken pox and 104 temperature. My step mother out me in a separate room and wouldn't give anything to eat  Later that night she came into the room and told me to go get a little fresh air. It was January in Massachusetts there was snow on the ground. I couldn't talk, or even hardly walk but she insisted I go outside for a while with no coat. I was there outside in the cold with the high fever and very sick, I looked at the starry sky, crisp and clear and asked God to take me. He answered me, not yet. This was in 1933. My step mother hated me and did many cruel things to me just short of actually killing me. 

THE GOOD NATURAL MOTHER

On the other hand he tells about his natural mother who was a saint. She died of Rheumatic fever when he was 9 but she taught him everything he needed to know, cooking, sewing  how to take care of himself and promised to never leave him. She would always be right there on his shoulder.

Now he is living in a senior community. My mother has passed away but he has some social life and planned activities. His medical care is managed and he has all his meals in the restaurant style dining room. He has an apartment and big screen tv. He is relaxing and enjoying more or less, not alone, as the community is large active and people there are very friendly. It is safe there and very old people can move and interact with each other at their own unique pace which tends to be quite different from the rest of rat race world. 

He tells the story constantly.

There are some interesting ramifications. Now this is not something out of a text book analysis technique, This is just what I experienced and what I saw.

I was spending time with him a few weeks ago and noticed his voice sounded a little rough. He takes a lot of medications and they affect him in different ways so I didn't think too much about it. I asked him if he was okay. Was he sick? He said no. He was fine.

The next day I came down with what must have been the flu. 101 for a week, pains, chills, sweating, headache, etc., etc., etc. It took a full 2 weeks for the congestion, coughing and diarrhea to subside. 
      
It has always been extremely important to him not show any signs of sickness. Even he underwent triple bypass heart surgery and he was up and driving the car within a week. Didn't tell anyone he was going in for cancer surgery until 30 minutes before he had my mother drive him to hospital. 

When his step mother put him out in the cold as child he reacted by determination to never show any signs of illness ever again, so that no one could ever do anything like that to him. Sickness meant weakness and others would take advantage of him. He has actually been able to conquer sickness to a large degree by sheer will power. 

For him that was strength, not to admit to illness. But it is a block. It is may be strength for a child in an awkward situation but not for a mature adult who has responsibility.
     
Real strength would  be to acknowledge he is carrying a contagious virus and let others know not to get too close. Like me for instance. He wouldn't tell me and I caught the illness. He could have helped me avoid that. And who knows who else he may have contacted in the community that is now also sick.

It may be that somewhere deep inside where the bitterness and anger are still residing, there is the desire to get back at the stepmother. If he hadn't said anything as a child about being sick maybe she would have caught the disease. 

The hurt and angry little boy is clouding the judgement of the mature man.  

I am reminded of the miracles of Jesus. Healing the sick. The Pure Servant of God can free us from these blocks. I want my father to be free of this. Maybe I had to become sick to see it. I am reminded of Lazarus. The Son of God removed the block that kept the man entombed and Lazarus gained new life. 
     
My father is not unique. 
      



     
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment