Monday, January 18, 2016

NOT JUST INTELLECTUALLY

"As the sun remains in one place, although its potency, the sunshine, expands in all directions, so the personality of Godhead remains in one place, although His variegated potencies are everywhere." Bhag, Sand.14.16
Looking at this verse... "the sunshine expands in all directions"
it occurred to me that when I think of the sunshine
I tend to think of it as it relates to me... not that it expands in "all" directions.
The sunshine expands not just in the direction of the earth...
but throughout the entire universe. It is very subtle.
In other words, intellectually I know from hearing from authorities
that the sunshine expands throughout the universe,
but in my own personal little experiential world I think of it
only in relationship to "my" material bodily existence.
Our realization of transcendence is like that. We may accept intellectually,
but when the rubber hits the road we still identify
with the gross and subtle bodies as the self.
Everything in relationship to the false self.
By engaging the material body and mind in devotional activities
we become purified of this misconception not just intellectually
but also at the points of contact with the material energy.
The bonafide spiritual master engages the disciple like this.
Not just intellectually.

No comments:

Post a Comment