Friday, May 16, 2014

I AM NOT A HUMAN BEING

   

     "I am not this body." I have heard this so many times it has become a truism. Yes, yes, I am spirit. Not matter.

     Chanting japa all night…the full moon overhead…the crickets and night sounds…an occasional peacock call and every now and the croaking of a frog or two. It is cool. The insects are not active.

     To say, “I am not this body” is generic. Tonight I realized, “I am not a human being.” Identifying with this body means I think I am a human being, part of the human race, and bound to act accordingly. None of us are humans. Only we have taken this birth which will not last. Then what will we be?

     If I say to someone, "I am spirit. I am not this material body." It may sound unusual to them since people generally don't have much dialog on this. But it does not cause alarm.

     But if I say, "I am a not a human being?" There is some apprehension there. If I am not a human then I must be less than human since human is the highest life form I can perceive through my senses. This is the problem…proud of this human body. What I perceive through my sense I have faith in because I am proud.

     That is why we are so slow to make spiritual progress. It is not just that we identify with this body, but we identify with being human. We are proud of this human body.

     This is a subtle point. The difference between, I am not this body, and I am not a human being. It is the same thing…but elicits a different response.

     What am I? I am in the darkest of ignorance. Therefore I must take the help of self-realized souls.

     The Bhagavad gita as it is as spoken by Krishna to Arjuna shines a light in the darkness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment